Dr. Neil T. Anderson’s book, Victory Over the Darkness, has become my 2nd most recommended book, 2nd only to the bible. It contains essential discipleship for the believer, discipleship that most of us never get because the church, quite honestly, isn’t doing a good enough job at discipleship. Discipleship in today’s Christian culture is therefore not just needed for the new believer, but for every believer. I received very good discipleship as a new believer 34 years ago as I went through a "manual for student discipleship" that was geared for high school students. Victory Over the Darkness is an excellent source of discipleship for adults who are either new to the faith or even for those of us who have believed for decades, such as myself, who have forgotten some of the basic reasons why we chose to believe and continue to believe, and for those of us who were never discipled in a way that informed us of who we really are in Christ and what that means for us.
As shared by Dr. Anderson, we are accepted, secure, and significant in Christ. Today I would like to share with you the scriptures that demonstrate the first of the three assurances of who we are in Christ.
- I AM ACCEPTED:
- I am God’s child. "But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name." – John 1:12
- I am Christ’s friend. "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things I have heard from My Father I have made known to you." – John 15:15
- I have been justified. "Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we also have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in the hope of the glory of God." -Romans 5:1
- I am a saint. "To the church of God, which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours." – 1 Corinthians 1:2
- I am united with and am one spirit with the Lord. "But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him." – 1 Corinthians 6:17
- I have been bought with a price and now belong to God. "For you were bought at a price; therfore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s." – 1 Corinthians 6:20
- I am a member of Christ’s body. "Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually." – 1 Corinthians 12:27
- I have been adopted as God’s child. "having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will," – Ephesians 1:5
- I have direct access to God through the Holy Spirit. "For through Him we both have access by one Spirit to the Father." – Ephesians 2:18
- I have been redeemed and forgiven of all my sins. "in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins." – Colossians 1:14
- I am complete in Christ. "and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power." – Colossians 2:10
Please come back tomorrow and Friday for the final two assurances and know that you are not only accepted, but also secure, and significant.
In the Unity of Christ,